Natural Cosmetics: DIY
Natural, homemade cosmetics are becoming trendy due to being able to decide what is contained in each product and where the raw materials are sourced from.
The do-it-yourself cosmetic trend made its breakthrough a few years ago, however, it has only recently gained momentum. More and more we are mixing our own concoctions such as scrubs, deodorants and creams.
But why are we leaning toward creating our own cosmetics? This has a lot to do with living in the digital age. Being stuck in front of our computers on the daily has left us yearning for the feeling of having made something with our own bare hands and being part of producing something unique while letting our creativity run wild.
Another factor to take into consideration is that the importance of quality and sustainability when it comes to consumption has increased significantly.
Today, we are able to make our own skincare, body care and hair care products in the comfort of our own home. This brings many benefits along with it, but one also needs to exercise caution.
- DIY cosmetics is often more affordable: as soon as one has attained the basic components, homemade cosmetics turns out to be less expensive than what can be bought at your drugstore.
- Because we are reusing jars and containers, waste is reduced, which is always beneficial to our environment.
- Making your own homemade cosmetics is simply fun!
- Hygiene must be the top priority when making DIY cosmetics. Use clean tools and utensils to ensure that the final product is not contaminated in any way. Natural, homemade cosmetics are free from artificial as well as natural preserving agents, which means that it is essential to have a clean working area to avoid any irritations from occurring.
- DIY cosmetics only uses fresh ingredients which restricts the shelf life. It is best to keep in mind the ingredient that is most likely to go off the quickest.
- Be aware of which ingredients your skin tolerates and which you may be allergic to avoid any skin irritations.
All that being said, why not try out the two DIY recipes that we have listed below?
Deodorant Cream, for daily use
What you'll need:
- 30 g shea butter
- 10 g grape seed oil
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 3 tsp alum stone powder
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
Melt the shea butter and grape seed oil by placing the two ingredients in a bowl and setting the bowl in warm water. Use a food processor to mix the alum stone powder and corn starch. Once the shea butter and grape seed oil have melted, add this liquid mixture to the corn starch and alum stone powder blend. Mix well. Leave the mixture to cool. Add the essential oils and mix once cooled.
Use the cream deodorant every morning when needed.
Eyelash Strengthening Oil
What you'll need:
- 70% castor bean oil
- 25% argan oil
- 5% vitamin E oil
Weigh the ingredients in relation to one another, mix and pour into a flacon or small bottle. Be sure to have a clean workspace! The eyelash strengthening oil can be used immediately by using a clean mascara wand and applying the mixture directly to your eyelashes. Alternatively, pour a small amount on a cotton pad and gently press onto the lashes while the eyes are closed. The oil blend can also be used on eyebrows. For best results, apply every evening before bed for two weeks.
- Practical wooden handle
- Measures up to 110 °C
In stock4.4 (17)
- Suitable for irritated, dry & chapped lips
- Guards against dehydrated skin
- Softening properties
In stock4.3 (1784)
- Voluminous lashes
- Intensive black pigments
- Conditions the hairs
In stock2.8 (6)
- Suitable for all skin types
- Bi-phase formula
In stock3.8 (4)
Free delivery in United States
A minimum of 1 free sample
We deliver worldwide to
more than 90 countries
with SLL encryption technology